Two years ago I compiled a list of the top 100 brandable domain name sales during 2014 which planted the seed for the weekly brandable sales series on the highest, reported brandable domain name sales all throughout 2015 and now 2016. Based on more than 1000 reported brandables sales during the year I have once again compiled a list of the top 100 brandable domain name sales for 2016 and as a bonus here’s a downloadable spreadsheet of the top 1000 sales for the year for further analysis.
The criteria for inclusion in the list are the same as previous years.
- No numeric domains
- Dotcom only
- No 2L & 3L domains (as they are a breed on their own)
- No one-word dictionary domains (in any language). This means the sale of Hora.com is not included for example as it’s the Spanish word for Hour.
- Unless a word has an alternative spelling such as No 18 on the list, Humann.com or No 61, Typsy.com
- No 4-letter acronyms unless they are pronounceable and used as a brand name instead of an acronym (many examples of those on this list!)
- Two keyword domains can qualify. No 54, BrightEnergy.com, for example, is a brandable domain name while CleanEnergy.com would not have made this list.
- Variation on words are allowed, such as No 715, Productly.com (none of these in the top 100 this year)
The 100 biggest sales this year account for $3,343,894 in sales compared to $3,168,440 in 2015 and $2,989,652 in 2014. This year it’s top 100 includes only 17 4-letter domain name sales compared to 30 in 2015 and 25 in 2014.
Uniregistry is once again the dominating marketplace with a whopping 49% of all sales in the top 100. Sedo.com is the runner-up, accounting for 28% of sales. Unfortunately, Afternic, GoDaddy, and BrandBucket do not report their sales and sales made via the Efty platform are private unless the seller decides to report a sale to DNJournal or NameBio.
Here’s this year’s list: (more…)