Four years ago I compiled a list of the top 100 brandable domain name sales during 2014 which planted the seed for a weekly blog series on the highest, reported, brandable domain name sales all throughout 2015, 2016, 2017 and now 2018. Based on more than 1000 reported brandables sales this year I have once again compiled a list of the top 100 brandable domain name sales for 2018.
The criteria for inclusion in the list remain the same as previous years.
- No numeric domains
- Dotcom only
- No 2L & 3L domains (as they are a breed on their own)
- No one-word dictionary domains (in any language). This means the sale of Hora.com is not included for example as it’s the Spanish word for Hour.
- Unless a word has an alternative spelling such as No 98 on the list, Chipz.com
- No 4-letter acronyms unless they are pronounceable and used as a brand name instead of an acronym (many examples of those on this list!)
- Two keyword domains can qualify. No 47, MoneySmart.com, for example, is a brandable domain name while MoneyLender.com would not have made this list.
- Variation on words are allowed, such as No 1, Jobster.com
The 100 biggest sales this year account for $3,079,880 in sales compared to
$4,516,680 in 2017, $3,343,894 in 2016, $3,168,440 in 2015 and $2,989,652 in 2014.
Sedo is the dominating sales venue this year claiming 50% of all sales on the list with Uniregistry as the runner-up, accounting for 23% of sales. Unfortunately, Afternic, GoDaddy, Undeveloped and niche marketplaces such as BrandBucket and BrandRoot.com do not share sales data and sales made through platforms such as Efty remain private unless a seller decides to report a sale to DNJournal or NameBio.
Here’s this years list: