Five years ago I compiled a list of the top 100 brandable domain name sales during 2014 which planted the seed for a weekly blog series on the highest, reported, brandable domain name sales all throughout 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019. Based on more than 1000 brandables sales we curated this year I have once again compiled a list of the top 100 brandable domain name sales for 2019.
The criteria for inclusion in the list remain the same as previous years.
- No numeric domains
- Dotcom only
- No 2L & 3L domains (as they are a breed on their own)
- No one-word dictionary domains (in any language). This means the sale of Hora.com is not included for example as it’s the Spanish word for Hour.
- Unless a word has an alternative spelling such as No 19 on the list, Thiink.com
- No 4-letter acronyms unless they are pronounceable and used as a brand name instead of an acronym (many examples of those on this list!)
- Two keyword domains can qualify. No 6, OneHome.com, for example, is a brandable domain name while BuyHome.com would not have made this list.
- Variation on words are allowed, such as No 62, Wearly.com
The 100 biggest sales this year account for $4,006,630.00 in sales compared to $3,079,880 in 2018, $4,516,680 in 2017, $3,343,894 in 2016, $3,168,440 in 2015 and $2,989,652 in 2014.
Sedo is the dominating sales venue for the 2nd year in a row claiming 42 spots on the list with GoDaddy (Auctions) as the surprising runner-up, accounting for 17% of sales despite the facts that these are a most likely investment instead of end-user sales.
Unfortunately, Afternic, Dan.com and niche marketplaces such as BrandBucket do not share sales data and sales made through platforms such as Efty remain private unless a seller decides to report a sale to DNJournal or NameBio.
Here’s this years list: