Three years ago I compiled a list of the top 100 brandable domain name sales during 2014 which planted the seed for the weekly brandable sales posts on the highest, reported brandable domain name sales all throughout 2015, 2016 and now 2017. Based on more than 1000 reported brandables sales this year I have once again compiled a list of the top 100 brandable domain name sales for 2017.
The criteria for inclusion in the list remain the same as previous years.
- No numeric domains
- Dotcom only
- No 2L & 3L domains (as they are a breed on their own)
- No one-word dictionary domains (in any language). This means the sale of Hora.com is not included for example as it’s the Spanish word for Hour.
- Unless a word has an alternative spelling such as No 121 on the list, Krispy.com
- No 4-letter acronyms unless they are pronounceable and used as a brand name instead of an acronym (many examples of those on this list!)
- Two keyword domains can qualify. No 50, PolarPro.com, for example, is a brandable domain name while PolarBear.com would not have made this list.
- Variation on words are allowed, such as No 55, Towny.com
The 100 biggest sales this year account for $4,516,680 in sales compared to $3,343,894 in 2016, $3,168,440 in 2015 and $2,989,652 in 2014.
Uniregistry is once again the dominating sales venue claiming 47% of all sales on the list with Sedo.com as the runner-up, accounting for 26% of sales. Unfortunately, Afternic, GoDaddy, and niche marketplaces such as BrandBucket and BrandRoot.com do not share sales data and sales made through the Efty platform are private unless a seller decides to report a sale to DNJournal or NameBio.
Here’s this years list: (more…)